Friday, May 18, 2012

I'm a what??

Well it's been a week since graduation, and let me tell ya, it still hasn't sunk in that I'm a doctor.  An actual doctor.  Like, I will never go by Ms. Mills again, DOCTOR.

The best metaphor I can come up with is this: You know the feeling you get at the very beginning of an unexpected rainshower?  How you are intensely aware of each small raindrop that lands on your skin and you know at some point, if you wait long enough, you will become drenched?  That's how the reality of my present and future responsibilities is hitting me.  Small doses of clarity hit me intermittently every few days but the over-riding feeling is that nothing has changed.

The first time it occured to me that my title and thought process were set to change was at graduation, when our dean reminded us that we entered the building as students but would be leaving as colleagues.  Another dose of reality came through at breakfast on Sunday for no particular reason.  I'm glad the shift reveals itself intermittently; it makes the process easier and allows me to maintain normalcy while savoring the anticipation of change.

Maybe I'll feel drenched soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment